A BRIEF NOTE ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF DIFFERENT LABOUR LAWS IN RAYAGADA DISTRICT
The primary functions of the Labour machinery in Rayagada District is
- to enforce various labour Laws
- mantatin peace and harmony in industries
- implementation of differential Welfare and Social Security of workers engaged in Construction and unorganized Sectors.
The Labour District of Rayagada comprises of the Revenue District of Rayagada which is comprised of two Sub Divisions namely Rayagada and Gunupur. The District has 11 Blocks, 01 Municipality and 02 NACs. The District Labour Office functioning at Rayagada has been upgraded to Zonal Labour Office (O/o Assistant Labour Commissioner, Rayagada) with effect from 21.01.2013 having jurisdiction of Rayagada Revenue District. The Officers and Inspectors of the Labour Directorate posted in this district have been declared as Inspectors / Licensing/ Registering Officers under various Labour Enactments as per their local jurisdiction for enforcing the same in different establishments and industries in the district.
1. Implementation of Building and Other Construction Workers(RE&CS)Act, 1996
The Building and Other Construction Workers (RE&CS) Act, 1996 provides safeguards particularly to the unorganized sector Building and Other Construction workers. Under the provisions of this Act the Construction workers are to be registered as Beneficiaries before the Registering Officer, who have at least worked for 90 days in any construction work in preceding 12 months. The Building & Other Construction Workers Welfare Board has been constituted at State level at Bhubaneswar for providing different benefits to the beneficiaries. The beneficiaries under the Act have been covered under different welfare schemes, such as
- Assistance for purchasing of Bi cycle & Safety equipments.
- Assistance for Accident
- Assistance for Death while working and natural death.
- Pension facilities after 60 years of the beneficiaries
- Education Assistance to the children of the beneficiaries
- Medical Assistance
- Maternity benefit assistance to the female beneficiaries
- Training assistance to the beneficiaries
- Financial assistance for purchase of tools
- Nirman Shramika Pucca Ghar Yojana (Rural Housing )
- Skill Development Training
Implementation of different Labour Laws in the district.
Inter State Migrant Workers (RE&CS) Act, 1979.
Mostly the workers of this district are migrating to other states after lean harvesting season for earning higher wages in spite of facilities available here as migration of workmen in Rayagada District has become a regular phenomenon. Most of them generally migrated to other States of India voluntarily. Legal action is being initiated against the defaulting employers/ Agents in Case of illegal recruitment and drafting of Migrant Workmen.
Minimum Wages Act, 1948.
The Government of Odisha in Labour & ESI Department Notification No. 5259 dtd. 28.06.2017, have revised the following Minimum rate of wages payable to different categories of employees employed in 83 schedule employments w.e.f 01.04.2017 for the state Odisha.
- Unskilled : Rs 213.50/- per day for 8 hours of work.
- Semi Skilled : Rs 233.50/- per day for 8 hours of work.
- Skilled : Rs 253.50/- per day for 8 hours of work.
- Highly Skilled : Rs 273.50/- per day for 8 hours of work.
The Officers and Inspectors posted in this district are conducting regular inspections to different establishments for ascertaining implementation of the provisions of the Minimum Wages Act. In addition to their routine inspections, whenever any complaint or allegation regarding non-payment of notified minimum wages made by any employer to the workers is received, immediate necessary action is being taken to ensure payment of statutory wages to the affected workers.
Industrial Disputes Act.
At present there are 03 major Industries functioning in Rayagada district.
- M/s J.K. Paper Mills, Jaykaypur and
- M/s I.M.F.A. Ltd., Therubali.
- Utkal Alumina International Ltd, Doaraguda, Tikiri.
The overall Industrial Relations Situation in all the Industries is normal and peaceful as of now.
Child and Adolescent Labour
- District Action Plan : Activities for Convergence •
- Compensation from erring employers.
- Raids, rescue and rehabilitation of withdrawn children.
- Provisions of free book, dress to all NCLP Students Labour & E.S.I Department W & C D Department School
- & Mass Education Department
- Shelter, Transit Homes for rescued children.
- Synchronizing work with CWC and timings of
- Special Schools/ primary Schools. (ICPS)
- All rescued children into formal schools.
- Age Appropriate Education to Child Labour.
UNORGANIZED WORKERS SOCIAL SECURITY ACT, 2008
The Unorganized Workers Social Security Act is under implementation in Rayagada District w.e.f 01.05.2017. The Scheme provides for Health, Welfare and Social Security aspects of Unorganized Workers belonging to Street Vendors, Small Traders, Domestic Workers, Rickshaw Pullers, Auto Drivers, Cobbler, Agricultural and forest Workers, Newspaper Hawkers, Scavengers etc, include self employed persons.